Every year, over 37.9 million emergency room visits occur due to injuries. If you find yourself in an accident, securing the compensation you rightfully deserve becomes paramount. Yet, settling for an average lawyer is not an option.
You want the best – a personal injury law firm with a proven track record of success in cases like yours. After all, you only have one chance to recover damages, so you can’t afford to settle for less. But with so many firms advertising on TV and online, how do you know which ones are truly top-tier?
We’ve got you covered. Here are six insider tips for finding a premier personal injury law firm that will fight tirelessly for you.
1. Have a List of Potential Candidates
Do some digging online to find personal injury lawyers in Augusta with solid reputations and experience. Check independent reviews from former clients on sites like Avvo, Lawyers.com, or Martindale. See who has the best feedback.
Call a few of the top contenders. Ask if they offer a free initial consultation. A first meeting with a lawyer is also your chance to get a feel for their style. Do they listen? Are they aggressive or more conciliatory? Will they keep you informed and guide you through the legal process?
With some research on the front end, you’ll find an Augusta personal injury lawyer with the skill and dedication to help you pursue the compensation you deserve. After all, you only get one shot to recover damages, so choose wisely.
2. Look for Experience and Expertise
When choosing a personal injury lawyer, you want someone with experience in handling cases similar to yours. Ask about their experience with cases involving injuries like whiplash, spinal cord damage, or broken bones. An experienced lawyer knows how to build a strong case and fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
They should also have expertise in Georgia personal injury law. Laws can vary between states, so make sure they are well-versed in the laws in Augusta and surrounding areas.
An expert lawyer stays up-to-date with changes in the law and court decisions that could impact your case. Don’t be afraid to ask direct questions about their experience, success rate, and credentials. You want a lawyer who knows how to get results.
3. Check Their Reputation and Reviews
The reputation and reviews of an attorney can reveal a lot about their experience, skills, and client satisfaction. Check online reviews and testimonials to see what former clients say about the lawyers you’re considering. Look for attorneys with largely positive reviews mentioning things like:
- Responsiveness and Communication: An attorney who promptly returns calls and keeps clients in the loop will make the whole process less stressful
- Reasonable Fees: While you shouldn’t choose an attorney solely based on price, unreasonably high fees can indicate inexperience or a tendency to prolong cases unnecessarily
- Skill and Expertise: Reviews mentioning an attorney’s legal aptitude, knowledge of personal injury law, and ability to get fair settlements are good signs they have the skills to represent you well
- Compassion: The best personal injury attorneys treat clients with empathy, understanding how difficult and painful the experience can be
The lawyers with the best reputations and most positive reviews will likely do the best job advocating for you and getting you the maximum compensation for your injuries. Check with your state’s bar association as well to ensure any candidate is properly licensed and has no record of disciplinary issues.
4. Consider The Cost
When choosing an attorney, it’s important to understand how they charge for their services. Most personal injury lawyers work on contingency, meaning they only get paid if you win your case. Typically, the fee is 33% of your settlement. Be wary of lawyers who ask for money upfront, as this could be a scam.
Some lawyers may charge a lower contingency fee, around 25%, if your case is resolved before a lawsuit is filed. The fee may increase to 33% if litigation becomes necessary. Make sure you understand the lawyer’s fee structure before signing a contract. You want to find an attorney you trust, who also has a fair fee agreement.
5. Evaluate Communication skills
A good personal injury lawyer should be responsive and keep the lines of communication open. Look for a lawyer who:
- Responds to your calls and emails promptly: You want a lawyer who will get back to you within 24 hours, if not sooner
- Explains things clearly without too much legalese: They should be able to walk you through the process, next steps, and potential outcomes in a way you can understand
- Stays you up to date on your case: Ask how often they will contact you with updates and if you can reach out anytime with questions or concerns
The last thing you want is radio silence from your attorney. Open communication and responsiveness are key to a good lawyer-client relationship. Don’t settle for a lawyer who is hard to reach or doesn’t take the time to explain things to your satisfaction.
6. Choose a Lawyer You Feel Comfortable With and Can Trust
When meeting with a potential personal injury attorney, come prepared with questions. Ask about their experience, credentials, and success rate with cases similar to yours. See if they’re someone you connect with – you’ll be working closely together, so you want a lawyer you trust and feel comfortable with.
Discuss the details of your accident or injury, as well as any medical records or other evidence you have. Be open and honest so they can properly evaluate your case. At this initial consultation, a reputable lawyer will give you an honest assessment of your claim and the potential value.
Need a Personal Injury Lawyer? Contact Us Now
If you have been involved in a personal injury lawyer in Augusta, GA, you need the expertise of a skilled and experienced attorney like the team at Blake & Detchemendy Law Firm. With a proven track record of success in handling personal injury cases, we have the knowledge and resources to help you secure the compensation you deserve.
By hiring us, you can trust that your case will be handled with the care and attention it deserves, giving you peace of mind during a difficult time. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case.